7 Tips to get your family to Nutritionize with you!
When you walk out of a CrossFit Nutrition seminar, you usually feel empowered and excited to take on healthy living. When you get home however, you are hit with the WALL of a changed reality. You open the pantry, and see nothing but gluten-based products. In the fridge you notice that nearly every beverage is full of liquid sugar, and the 2 month old pack of Bologna is the closest thing to a lean protein you can see, and nothing is green. The cupboard is stacked with processed foods, high in sugar, high in saturated fat, and where the heck is the protein in this kitchen?
Right then, your husband/wife/kid/roommate/significant other walks in and says “want pizza??”
We’ve been there! Here are 7 tips that you can do to deal with this:
- Before they can finish the “p” in pizza, cut them off and share with them what you learned at the seminar. This reinforces it for you, and also gives them a piece of knowledge.
- Talk with your family/friends/loved ones about your new commitment to living healthy, and WHAT YOU FEEL IT WILL MAKE AVAILABLE FOR YOU. This should be something cool and exciting to you, when you share that, others will pick up on it, and want a piece of it too! Let people say whatever they want.
- Walk into your kitchen, and point out every single item that violates a healthy lifestyle. Don’t throw it all away just yet.
- Plan your first week of meals. That means every meal (breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner) for a week. Then share that plan with the people in your life (even tweet it, post it to FB, and of course this blog!).
- Go to the grocery store and by anything you might be missing that you’ll need for your first week.
- Invite the people in your household to join you. If they say no, that’s fine.
- Stay the course, let the others in your house consume the violating items, however DON’T replace them. This is your opportunity to have conversations about making the right choices in the supermarkets with them. Seriously evaluate what comes back into the house.
Being the trailblazer is not always easy, however if you hold strong people will see your results, and that alone will be enrolling for most. Some will never jump on, and that’s ok. There’s nothing wrong with that, there’s just the impact of living an un-healthy lifestyle. Never make them wrong, and never give up!
Here’s a video that’s totally relevant. Be the dancing guy in your household!!